Starting a cleaning company in Nigeria is gaining ground rapidly. The hygiene of every home and office is very important.
This business is predominately meant for the working class and people with financial capability in Nigeria and beyond.
You can take advantage of your environment as a student and set up your cleaning company.
Grab a glass of water as I take you through the step by step guide to set your business up.
Here are the things you need to know in order to start a cleaning company in Nigeria as a student:
Know These Before Starting a Cleaning Company In Nigeria
Knowledge of the Market
This is the step you need to take when deciding on which you should embark on.
Do your feasibility study of the market you are entering so as to determine whether the business is viable or not.
Doing this will make you understand the forces of demand and supply that is in play in the area of business you have chosen.
Nevertheless, don’t forget to run a background check on your competitors too.
Choose your Niche
You need to choose your area of specialization at this stage. Decide on whether to go for commercial service or Specialized Cleaning. Don’t be a jack of all trades, master of none.
We will dwell more on the types of cleaning business as we proceed.
This is the point where you decide on capital outlay, this solely depends on the amount of money in your possession.
You can approach the banks for a loan(Bank of Industry and the likes)with your business proposal.
As a student or working class, you can start with a low budget, talk to your parents about the business and show them the reasons they should help you with little amount. If you are working class, seek financial help from your friends and colleague
There is nothing bad in starting small, in due time, you will move to become a force to reckon with in a cleaning business.
Getting the Needed Equipment
It is a lot easier to get the tools you will need to get your business started as a student.
You don’t need to buy a truck, big dust bin, and other expensive tools at the initial stage, you have all you need already in your room e.g. mop, broom, bucket, etc. you can extend your coast at a later stage.
The Size of your Cleaning company
Your target audience will determine how big or small your brand will be.
As a student or low-income earner, you can decide to start small if your budget is low.
Specialties in Cleaning Business
1. Commercial Cleaning Services:
Big commercial entities require frequent cleaning, and cannot easily be done by a single person in the organization.
Securing a long-term contract to clean up a few commercial buildings will accelerate your business growth.
2. House Cleaning Services:
This service involves the cleaning of homes, pools, or gardens for clients, and is the easiest to start.
It does not require much staff, as all you’d need at the beginning is a couple of equipment and little help, if necessary.
3. Specialized Cleaning Services:
You can specialize in a specific set of tasks like window cleaning, vehicle cleaning, sofa cleaning, duct cleaning, or carpet cleaning.
It offers you selective work and also pays extremely well since it is a specialized field.
Basically there are two ways you can deliver your service in a cleaning business which are one-time cleaning and recurring cleaning.
1. One-Time cleaning has to with cleaning your customer’s house once. One-time cleaning includes the following:
- Regular cleaning is going to be the basic cleaning you offer your customers. You will need to come up with a list of cleaning tasks that you will perform for each cleaning.
- Deep cleaning is everything included in your regular cleaning with some extra cleaning tasks. Like with the regular cleaning, research services in your area to determine what extra tasks you will offer.
- Move-in/move-out cleaning is basically a cleaning without furniture. You would perform the same tasks that you would for deep cleaning. There are some companies that offer additional tasks such as cleaning inside of the cabinets, refrigerator, and oven included in the move-in/move-out cleaning or offer them as add-ons. It’s up to you whether or not you will offer these tasks.
2. Recurring cleaning is one in which customers want their home cleaned on a regular basis. Here are the cleaning frequencies for recurring cleanings:
- Bi-weekly (every 2 weeks)
- Monthly (every 4 weeks)
For recurring customers, you can either offer a regular or deep cleaning for their initial cleaning.
After the initial cleaning, you will be performing a regular/maintenance cleaning on a recurring basis.
NOTE: You can approach large organizations, homes, and environmental cleaning agents and earning a steady income.
Pros and Cons of Starting a Cleaning Company in Nigeria
Starting a new business in Nigeria could be very daunting due to many constraints associated with it. It is easier said than done when it comes to having a brand in any society.
However, let us examine the advantages and disadvantages of setting up a cleaning company in Nigeria as a student or low-income earner.
- You don’t need to spend to get physical space, customers will call you over to perform your duties. Set up your email and other social media platforms so that your customer can easily reach you via those aforementioned.
- The cost of setting up this business is relatively low compare to another line of businesses, as I said earlier that your equipment is ready in you and you can easily get them if not available.
- Generation of extra income: People mostly prefer to get their houses cleaned in their presence, which goes on to create a lot of job opportunities on the weekends for individuals and businesses, venturing into home cleaning business making this ideal for students and individual who are occupied by academic works or their daily activities.
- There are ample opportunities for you becoming an employer of labor rather than seeking employment after your studentship in the university, you have become a job creator by you starting this business
- There will be economic freedom because you are your own boss which invariably increases your purchasing power as an individual.
- Competition: the could the catalyst to the success of your business if well managed, it is a challenge because you are a newcomer with little or no experience in the game, you might find it difficult to outrun your competitors.
- It is possible to incur a loss at initial as a newbie in the business, probably this is your business, it is very tasking to keep your business going and it is expected of you to source for customers, managing your expenses, etc.
- There could be some customers that will owe you for services rendered, it is inevitable in the business world not to have debtor, your business can go into extinction if this is not managed properly, therefore make provision for all your yet to recovered money.
- As a student there is a high tendency that you might have your business activities clashing with other academic works, it is now your duty to balance both activities.
- There could be frustration as a young entrepreneur because People might not accept your brand so soon. At the initial stage, People will not care whether you are rendering effective and efficient services or not, keep your head up the sky will be your starting point.
Conclusion on Starting a Cleaning Company in Nigeria
Merely listing these points does not substantiate the success of a business entity, the success of any business entity depends on putting resources be it human resources, machines, and capital into the right uses.
Use this article as a guide to starting your cleaning company, strive your way through and enjoy great success in your new career, start creating awareness on all your social platforms because a journey of a thousand miles, starts with a step.
Feel free to drop your thoughts in the comment section below and do well to share our post.
341,692 total views, 504 views today
Badru Idris Oriyomi is a public speaker with a keen interest in seeking personal growth and development. He is also a student entrepreneur, educational consultant, Financial analyst, Motivational, and inspirational speaker. Critical and Analytical thinker, I love Leadership and Governance, a die-hard Arsenal Fan.